It’s April Fools Day!

It's April Fools Day!

April Fool’s Day is celebrated yearly on April 1 where people play pranks or practical jokes and spread hoaxes. This is a popular activity since the 19th century where even newspapers, magazines and other published media report fake stories which are explained the next day or below the news section in small letters.

April Fool’s Day Traditions

In UK, an April Fool joke or prank is revealed by shouting “April Fool!” at the recipient. The joking ceases at midday and a person playing a joke after midday is the “April Fool” themselves.

In Ireland, a victim is entrusted with an important letter to be given to a specific person, the person would then ask the victim to send it to someone else and so on. The letter actually contains the message “send the fool further.”

In Poland, April 1 is celebrated with so many jokes told, various hoaxes prepared by people, media and even public institutions.

In Italy, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, and French-speaking areas of Switzerland and Canada, the tradition is known as “April fish,” where people attempt to attach a paper to the victim’s back without being noticed.

17521857_10154649640229209_1669000148_o

Top April Fool’s Day Pranks and Jokes

In 1962, in Sweden, there was only one television channel and it was shown in black and white. The station announced that their researchers discovered that covering the television screen with a pair of tights would cause the image in the television appear with colors. Thousands of viewers fell for the hoax where even fathers rushed through the house to find stocking to place over their tv sets.

In 1957, a news show broadcast by Panorama reported a 3-minute video footage of a family in southern Switzerland pulling pasta off spaghetti trees. Hundreds of people phoned the BBC to know how they could have their own “home-grown spaghetti.”

In 1977, the Guardian published a “special report” about a country located in the Indian Ocean called San Serriffe, consisting of several islands that form the shape of a semi-colon. The Guardian’s phones rang all day that the readers want more information about the “perfect sounding” holiday spot.

In 1998, Burger King published a full-page advertisement in USA Today about their new menu: the Left-Handed Whopper, especially designed for the 32 million left-handed Americans. It had the same ingredients as the original Whopper, but all the condiments were rotated 180 degrees. Thousands of customers went into the restaurant to order the new sandwich while many others requested for the right-handed version

In April 1978, a barge towing a giant iceberg appeared in Sydney Harbor. Dick Smith, a local adventurer and millionaire businessman, promoted this iceberg from Antarctica saying he was going to carve the berg into small cubes and sell it to public for ten cents each. These cubes promised to improve the taste of any drink they cooled. Local radio stations provided blow by blow coverage but when it started to rain, the firefighting foam and the shaving cream which made the berg, washed out and the white plastic sheets beneath were revealed.

1. My kids think April Fool’s Day is the greatest thing ever. I can’t wait to pull some pranks on Saturday.

2. Very cool facts. My youngest is our April Fools joke as I was in labor on April 1st but he waited until the 2nd.

3. I liked your post. I think its very interesting what other countries do for April Fools.

4. it’s a day that I always look forward to. It’s fun to see the unique and creative April Fools’ Day campaigns that hit the internet.

5. Unbelievable! I think these are harmless pranks but really funny. I wonder what would be the best April Fools’ day prank this year.

6. I still have yet to pull a great April Fools break on my kids. Mostly for lack of planning!

7. I always want ton do something good and funny on this day especially with my close friends and family members. I still remembered few which i did last year. It was too much fun 🙂

8. I’d have to give it to Burger King on that one. Awesome marketing ploy!

9. I didn’t know there were so many different April Fools Day traditions! I can’t wait to pull a few pranks this year!

10. Highlight of my childhood. I was almost never a victim of this because I had a very strong sense of perception but there are horror comedy stories on this. I don’t like when people take it too far though but it always makes a good laugh.

11. It is interesting to learn how they celebrate April Fool’s Day in different countries. I laughed out loud at home-grown spaghetti!

12. I love April Fools Day. I love to hear about the pranks people are able to pull off especially around the globe.

13. When I was a kid, I found it pretty fun that we have such a day to fool people. I think it’s fun so long as the pranks won’t hurt anyone that you’re planning to mess with. These are quite good!

14. I used to ask before what April Fool’s day all about. When I was a kid we always look forward to that day so we can fool our friends and classmates. Ohh good times. hahaha! Agree with Elizabeth, as long as it wont hurt or harm anyone, then its good.

15. I use to prank everyone when i was in school,,,,But now i feel like am too old for that lol

16. I remembered playing April fool day with my school friends. It was so much fun! Where we lived, April Food is called Poisson d’avril (in french). As a mom, I like hearing stories of how my son experienced it.

17. These are hilarious! I had never heard of these pranks before, but can’t believe so many fell for them. A left-handed Whopper? Really, people! Haha.

18. I love it when the media create a really good April Fools day prank and the whole country falls for it – it’s so fun to see everyone get suckered in!

19. I did not think there was any kid alive who would be fooled by this. I sometimes totally forget about it. Let’s face it we have this every day with fake news…lol