10 Places to Dine at in La Union Philippines

10 Places to Dine at in La Union Philippines

La Union is one of the most visited provinces in the Northern Philippines. Being welcomed by a picturesque seascape and a taste for adventure, this province in the Ilocandia is also considered as the Surfing Capital of the North, with people from all over the world flocking to its surfing spots.

But of course, all the surfing and the adventure will make you hungry for good food. Here we have listed 10 spots that you should not miss dining at when in La Union.

Halo Halo de Iloko

Offering Filipino food and dessert, Halo Halo de Iloko is the spot to cool down after a hot day of surfing and roaming. When dining here, one must try their Halo-Halo – a Filipino dessert made with shaved ice, sweetened beans, ice cream, gelatin, rice crispies, milk flan, sugar, and milk.

Halo Halo de Iloko

Address: Zandueta St., San Fernando, La Union

Jinyou

If you are in search of good Korean food during your stay in La Union, Jinyou is the place to go. Located in the Metro, this Korean restaurant serves the best Samgyupsal in the province.

A photo posted by Lye Quismundo (@lovelye__) on

Address: Thunderbird Resort, Poro Point, San Fernando, La Union

Olives Restaurant

Olives is the restaurant for Italian food in La Union. One of their must-try entrees is the 4-Flavored Pizza.

Olives Restaurant

Address: Thunderbird Resort, Poro Point, San Fernando, La Union

S.O.U.L Café

A ‘Spice of Urban Life” as they call themselves, S.O.U.L Café is the place to either grab a quick snack or stay over for coffee.

S.O.U.L. Cafe

Address: Camp One, Rosario, La Union

Surf Shack

Combining good food with the surfing experience, Surf Shack is the place to go to for sea surfers and adventurers alike.

Surf Shack

Address: Brgy. Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union

La Roca

Located along Surfer’s Road, this restaurant and hotel offers travelers good food with the great view of La Union’s seascape.

La Roca

Address: Brgy. Urbiztondo, San Juan, La Union

Sugar Artisan

Sweet toothed? Sugar Artisan is the place to grab some really good desserts. From parfaits to crepes, they have it all here.

Sugar Artisan

Address: McArthur Hwy, San Juan, La Union

Riverfarm

For those that are craving for fresh seafood, Riverfarm is the place for you. This restaurant serves catch-to-plate food that is fresh every time.

Riverfarm
Photo credit: iFilm Productions

Address: Km 232, Baroro, Bacnotan, La Union

Makkan Ilokano Restaurant

Serving authentic Ilokano food, Makkan is the place to go to complete your Ilocandia experience in La Union. One of their must-try entrees is their Crispy Dinuguan.

• La Union •

A photo posted by Queenie Boado (@queebow) on

Address: Sta. Barbara, Agoo, La Union

Midway

When craving for baby-back ribs in La Union, Midway Grill is the place to go.

Midway Grill

Address: Añez Building, MacArthur Highway, Carlatan, San Fernando

1. Hi Sonja — Tyler’s friend Nicole again! Still stalking you:)I was wondering if I might pick your brain on some nuttition/hydrarion questions? If you wouldn’t mind sharing some advice with a newbie, could you shoot me an email at ?Thanks so much!

1. Makkan Ilokano looks amazing. I’ve seen so much about the Phillippines lately and it’s the next place I want to visit.

2. All these places look amazing! As a food lover, I love exploring about new dining place to delight my taste buds!

3. I always pass by la union but wasn’t able to dine in any restaurants in La Union. glad that you shared this. Will try this soon 🙂

4. What a comprehensive list and awesome photos. I would love to visit the Philippines ads try out these places.

5. This is a must have info when we visit La Union again to go to my wife’s parents. We tried Halo Halo de Iloko and to be honest it was an epic fail. All the food served was bland and even the Halo Halo wasn’t anything special. I heard surf shack is quite ok so we might try that next time after surfing.

6. This is pretty funny as my girlfriend just landed in the Philippines and I am not seeing this post! The food looks great and I am sure it is something we will try one day.

7. All the places sound amazing. It’s been so many years since I have last been to La Union. I bet so much has changed. I would love to visit again one day.

8. All these food looks out of this world!!! and the place is amazing, hope to visit it some day

9. I really have to try all of them! I’m gonna put it in my list of “place to go before I die”

10. 10 spots now on my bucket list! These are great suggestions.

11. So many wonderful places to eat, so little time. I hope to have the chance to dine at one or more of these!

12. This place is like a food paradise! There’s just so much to try. This is what I love about traveling, you get to taste so many different dishes. I hope I can go here someday!

13. My uncle is going to the Philippines next week. I will share this with him. I am really jealous now. These look like some amazing places to eat. Thank you so much!

14. Phillipines is always been on my list! Thanks for sharing some great places to dine…will bookmark this!

15. Nice list! These great options should be both attracting and inviting to tourists as well and I urge non-Filipinos to visit La Union as well. I’ve been to a couple of those restaurants, the Makkan Ilocano’s Dinuguan is indeed delicious!

16. All of those look like great places to dine. I’ve never been to the Philippines before. I’ve always wanted to go though. It always sounded like a great place to visit.

17. Halo halo de Iloko is a nice place according to my sister. I want to experience their halo halo in coconut!

18. I love travelling and eating. So I found this post very interesting. Thanks for the tips!

19. Awesome photo journal and description. I love the pizza at olives restaurant. Would be so excited to visit this place!

20. Omg so many yummy places!!!!!! I need to check all of these places out!

21. Oh, my! Each place has it’s own personality. Look at those variety. So yummy! Thanks for sharing!

22. I’ve been to La Union several times, but I have not been to any of the restos you’ve mentioned *toinks*

There is one resto that I always eat breakfast whenever I’m at San Juan. There Tapsilog, LongSilog and BangSilog is simply awesome. It’s at Surf Resort Resto, the view is pretty fantastic too,

1. Thanks for the recommendation Sonnie!

23. Oh my! If I am ever in this area, I am going to try out so many of these. What amazing looking food.

24. i guess these (some) food spots are made for those foreign tourists who still want to get a taste of their traditional food. I’ll get this list bookmarked because places in Norte like La Union are those on my list! That pasta of Surf Shack is inviting!!!

25. I already tried halo halo de iloko and I love it! Saving this post for our future La Union family trip.

26. Good thing that there are so many places to dine in at la union! Sure those who are looking to travel here would definitely be having difficulties on where to dine in.

27. Been to La Union for a number of times and why o why I havent even seen any of these places. They seem to offer the food I just want.

28. Im from La Union and I’m always proud of it..I can tour you for free as long as I’m there..just let me know…

1. Thanks for the offer Marc! We just might take you up on that!

29. La Union has a lot to offer when it comes to food. I hope those resto are near in tourist spots in the area so it can be visited easily.

30. I’ve never been to La Union as our scheduled trip last May was cancelled. 🙁 But once we visit, I now know where to fill my tummies. I love coffee so SOUL Cafe definitely made it to my list! 🙂

31. Wow ang dami pala! I’ve only heard about Surf Shack so this post is a huge help! I’m planning a trip to La Union with some friends soon so I’ll send them this post to use as our guide! Thanks!

32. Been to La Union years ago and a lot has changed from your post. I am planning to go there in December and this list would surely help me a lot!

33. I can’t stop myself from staring at your La Union photos! The foods look mouthwatering! I can’t wait to visit La Union & try these restaurants you shared. 😍

34. Oh so many places to eat!! Love this post this is actually perfect because I’m heading to La Union tomorrow I’ll bookmark this post and for sure I’m gonna visit all the foodie places you listed <3

35. So many good restaurants to choose from. I would love to try the olives Italian restaurant. I like olives a lot. Italian food is always good!

36. I never knew that there were plenty of restaurants to try in La Union. It’s a 2 hour drive from my location and I would be happy to check these restaurants out. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

37. You take amazing pictures. All of these sound like a great choice but being a coffee addict myself I’d have to chose s.o.u.l Cafe. Very interesting list 🙂

38. Think I have to see La Union real soon. I’ve been there once or twice back in Elementary days and I only care about the beach… I would love to check out Surf Shack 🙂

39. Dined in at Sugar Artisan on my visit to the Philippines and the food served are delicious with bottomless drinks and eat all you can desserts.High five to Sugar Artisan

40. These are great food hubs and how I wish i was able to find them – even one or two – when i toured la union years ago. Hopefully when i get back to traveling, i will save some of the nAmes so i could remember

41. I’ve been to La Union a couple of times when we were still a band touring with San Miguel and when I did a solo gig at Kuya’s Cafe at one of the beach resorts there. I wasn’t able to go around and check out other food stops, but I want to do so soon. That Halo Halo de Iloko looks great. I was wondering if they have more local-oriented restos to check out.