World Red Cross Day

World Red Cross Day

The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is an international humanitarian movement based in Geneva, Switzerland. It was founded to ensure respect for all human beings, to protect human life and health and to prevent and alleviate human suffering. It has approximately 97 million volunteers, members and staff worldwide nowadays.

Every May 8 of each year is the World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day. It is the celebration of the principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and also the birthday of Henry Dunant, the founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross. The first Red Cross Day was celebrated in 1948. The official name for the celebration has changed over time and it became “World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day” in 1984.

People all around the world show support for the work of around 17 million volunteers by wearing red. Also on this day, local heroes that have made invaluable contributions in life protection are being recognized. It is also celebrated through blood donations and fund raising.

This year’s theme is the same as last year’s “ Everywhere for everyone,” which reminds people anywhere on Earth, that the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is working all around the world, every hour of every day.

Show your support on social media by using #RedCrescentDay #RedCrossDay on all your posts and updates in connection with the celebration.

1. The Red Cross is a wonderful organization! I have donated to them many times.

2. It’s nice to hear about the Red Cross but it makes me wonder what’s happened that there are so many other non-profits around the world offering similar services. It seems like the Red Cross & a limited number of groups could be more effective than the splintered environment we have today?

3. Wow! it’s good to know that there’s an event like this for Red Cross. Red Cross has been helping a lot of lives. World Red Cross Day is worth celebrating for!

4. I never knew about World Red Cross Day and sad I missed it.. I love everything that the Red Cross does to help the lives of so many.

5. I can’t imagine the world without Red Cross and Red Crescent. They help so many people across the world. Happy World Red Cross Day!

6. I didn’t know there was a Red Cross Day! This is very cool! I think there needs to be a recognition day of all the good work the Red Cross does for people in need.

7. Cool I didn’t know there was a world Red Cross day. Keep on doing great work

8. I have a few friends that apart of the Red Cross. It is a great way of helping out.

9. I’ve never heard of World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day! That’s very interesting. I will be looking further into ways to participate. Thank you!

10. I fully support this initiative. #RedCrescentDay

11. What a beautiful movement to promote respect and kindness towards one another. We should be all be an advocate of humanity and not fight against each other.

12. The Red Cross has done a wonderful job all over the world. I hope they continue to be a tower pf strength to people all over the world struggling with disasters